Saturday, September 4, 2010

Eat, Pray, Love

The experience of watching the movie Eat, Pray, Love felt like therapy. I really enjoyed it because it was relatable in so many ways. Through out the movie I kept scribling down dialogues that appealed to me. Some of those lines felt like messages that could be applied to different aspects or experiences in life. So here goes,

When Julia Roberts had this aching desire to travel and felt lost in her marriage --
"The only thing more impossible than staying was leaving."

She was confused how to pray, this was how she started --
"I am a big fan of your work, God."

The realization that dawned on her, whilst at her spiritual pursuits --
"Ruin is a gift. Ruin is the road to transformation. We must always be prepared for endless waves of transformation."

This was a no-brainer line --
Older man to Julia Roberts: "Your probably the only person in the world to fall asleep while at meditation."

Older man helping Julia Roberts through her mental distractions --
"You wanna get to the castle, you gotta swim through the moat."
"You need to select your thoughts the way you select your clothes in the morning."

Julia Roberts writes to her ex-boyfriend --
"Its not that I need easy right now, I just can't have so hard."

Older man to Julia Roberts: "Your gonna stay here till you forgive yourself. Everything else will take care of itself."

Julia Roberts in the dream sequence with her ex-husband. This is where she lets go of the past baggage --
Husband: I'm gonna love you.
Liz: So love me.
Husband: I'm gonna miss you.
Liz: So miss me.
Send me a love line everytime you think of me and then drop it. Nothing lasts forever.

Older man to Liz: Hey groceries, believe in love again.

Liz's faith realization:
"God dwells within you, as you."

Random from here on ----

"Smile with your face. Smile with your eyes. Smile with your liver."

Guy: "You really look {pause}"
Liz: "Ravishing?"
Guy: "Astonishing!"

"Only way to heal is to trust."

Guy: "You don't need a man Liz, you need a champion."

Finally --> Physics of the quest
"If you are brave enough to leave behind everything that's comforting and set out in a quest, treat everyone along the way as teachers, truth will reveal itself."