Friday, October 28, 2011

When in the muck keep walking


The weather was great this morning. Nature beckoned to be with her longer. Was it possible to resist such a sweet plea? No, for me, it wasn't. So, stepped outside for a nice long walk. Little did I anticipate the surprise lesson awaiting, at some point on this walk. But don't let me jump ahead...allow me to lead on. 

Noticed the trees in all their splendor and glory. What a sight! There was this one tree which was especially fun to look at; its color varied from being light green on its bottom leaves to having a light orangish tinge on its top leaves. Almost looked like the burning bush, except it wasn't a bush, it was a tree. Anyway, the breeze, what can I say...it blew gently, at the right intervals, in the right proportion. Just love when that happens. Its like a privilege granted by the gods. At one point, I looked down at my shoes and smiled. Couldn't help feel happy about them. They were shiny white, literally, and squeaky clean. Oh, it felt so nice...
Then it happened! Not the not nice thing, but the different thing. Was walking on the grassland when I noticed this small stretch of slightly wet-looking, smoothly surfaced terrain, which I would need to cross. It surprises me how I wasn't able to harness my reasoning mental faculties and choose another route; just kept going. Stepped into the unfamiliar. One step, "Oh my God! I'm sinking in this thing." Next step,"Jennifer, if you don't keep walking really fast, you are history." Well, I don't know how deep that mucky terrain was, but my feet were sinking in quickly, and off-course, I was in no mood to find out the depth. Thankfully it just lasted four long, quick steps, and then found myself on the grassland again. Once on more firm territory, I just kept marching on, didn't even look back for a second. Couldn't help laughing at the experience and my unrecognizable shoe condition (did I say they were shiny white shoes, before the incident...). The walk after could be described as an awkward sight for an onlooker to see, cause I kept stopping at regular intervals and rubbing my shoes on the grass (front, back, sideways, underneath...) to get the muck off, or at least all the extra stuff which was stuck on it. But you know, I later realized that this humorous incident affirmed some valuable life lessons. "What were they?", you might ask. Allow me to share...
1. When in the muck keep walking really fast. Stopping causes sinking. Keeping on going is the only way out.
2. Once crossed the mucky terrain, walk on. There is no need to look back (well, unless someone calls out to you...hahaha...). Adopting this strategy helps the mind switch states, from surprise and discomfort, to ease and calmness.
3. Last but definitely not the least, there is no point avoiding the fact that the situation is so darn funny. Really! Its hilarious if you think about it. Laugh your heart out.
(The sentences above are metaphorical to life experiences.)

Anyway, after that deep philosophical journey, I came back and changed into another pair of shoes (luckily had my Vibrams with me...good chance to show off the lizard-feet look). Washed my dirty shoes and you know what, "They are shiny white again!" : - D

All's well that ends well.