Monday, January 23, 2012

To be rebirthed each morning


My teacher Koun shared in his Dharma talk, an incident related to the death of a close friend of his. It so happened that this friend passed away in circumstances which may be considered unusual or freakish. While she was driving home that day, a strong gust of wind uprooted a tree and carried this massive tree onto her car; it caused her death. We would think that for a person who is healthy and happy to die like this as freakish. But in reality, it isn't! Incidents like this happen all the time. 
It got me to thinking of how I get into a sort of a mechanical process with my life most days. But honestly, is this all I owe to life? Is this all I can bring to life? Think not! I imagine that it's okay to let a day slip away with doing less than a fulfilling job, because it'll be here for me tomorrow. And the same pattern repeats itself, again, and again, and again. Until there is a wake up call. Then it comes as a realization that everyday, being given the chance to engage in life, is the first time it is and may be the last time it will ever be. How much more meaningful things start to seem!