Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Stay open, who knows? Lightning could strike.

  
This feeling of impermanence is really something. My teacher had said in the past, "Change happens in two ways: 1) Maybe you like ice cream and one day you happen to gorge on too much of it. Then you realize that it has lost its magic on you. That's the slight, subtle changes we commonly go through in our lives. 2) Then there are the big ones which cause us to have a fresh perspective on life. It's like looking in the mirror and not being able to recognize oneself or identify with the big ideas one has about their identity. We can think ourselves really lucky when presented a chance of experiencing the second kind of change." Hmm...

The Fire

Listen, I've light
in my eyes
and on my skin
the warmth of a star, so strange
is this
that I
can barely comprehend it:
I think
I'll lift my face to it, and then
I lift my face,
and don't even know how
this is done.  And
everything alive
(and everything's
alive) is turning
into something else
as at the heart
of some annihilating
or is it creating
fire
that's burning, unseeably, always
burning at such speeds
as eyes cannot
detect, just try
to observe your own face
growing old
in the mirror, or
is it beginning
to be born?

~ Franz Wright ~