Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Do you see what I see? Do you hear what I hear?


...
Now you cannot imagine what it means to go out to freedom after Auschwitz. How do you go to freedom? How should I enter freedom? I did not even have a dress. I was sent to Sweden and someone invited me to Passover. Someone gave me a blue dress. I went to the door and I could not enter. I walked around in the flowers. Finally I went and opened the door, and it was beautiful halls and beautiful tables and people, you know, and the lady who invited me, she says, there is a little room there, why don't you just go and change? Ha, I didn't have anything to change into! But I went to the little room and saw a calendar and I said to myself, I will learn the days in English, and so I learned all the days until all the guests arrived. Finally everybody sat down, and they started to talk, and guess what they talked about? The price of gold on the international market. And I thought, my god, this is how you celebrate the Passover? You know how many people were put in the crematorium a day? So very quietly I took my coat and walked down into Stockholm until I had no tears. I thought what will I do with my freedom?
...

Source: Excerpt from the article Words Are Not Enough by Alice Lok Cahana who is a Hungarian Holocaust survivor and is well known for her writings and abstract paintings about the Holocaust. The article was featured in the Fall 2012 issue of Mountain Record: The Zen Practitioner's Journal.